Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Edward Chuo: Manager at Mission Starbucks


Hello again! And happy Summer Time!

For those of you who come to our store know that we have a close knit group of partners. And the head honcho at Mission is Edward! I have asked our partners and my team to send in a quick blurb, talking about themselves. Because lets face it, we all love to talk about ourselves sometimes. I have asked them a few key questions. Why Starbucks? What inspires you? What is your favorite Clover coffee and what pairs well with it? I will also be posting more about Edward in the future, but below is his response to "Why Starbucks". I am proud to work with Edward. He has done well and cares very much for his team. He is motivating, driven to succeed and an inspiration to us all. He has over come huge obstacles larger than most, and every day he is in the store he always has a smile on his face! You go Edward.



Why Starbucks?
The question "Why Starbucks" goes a long way back. Back to when I was about 10 years old, I remember my parents always frequenting Starbucks, sipping on lattes and cappuccinos and telling me that coffee is something that has a rich history and romance behind it. My dad loved Starbucks Coffee so much that he purchased an espresso machine from a local Starbucks and started to make lattes at home. It was then, every morning when I woke up, I would expect the smell, the intense and rich aromas of espresso. 
Drinking coffee became a habit a habit of mine around 15. Fast forward 3 years, my sister started working for Starbucks and recommended it to me, telling me that it was a great place to work. I applied out of the love for coffee from a young age and my sister telling me how it was a company that stood for its values and mission. 
I started working at Starbucks at the age of 18 and soon realized that I would like to pursue a career with Starbucks. I remember telling my Store Manager at that time, say "One day I will be a District manager for this company". Within 3 months I was promoted to a shift supervisor role, then another 8 months I was promoted to the Assistant manager role. I learned so much about life, work, and how to interact and build relationship with a diverse group of people. All the things I've learned and experienced enabled me to become a Store manager at only 20 years old. 
I love this company for the partners, the customers, the coffee, what we stand for, our values, and of course the opportunity that Starbucks has giving me. Starbucks is a company that cares deeply about it's partners. In 2013 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had surgery. The recovery process was a long and painful one. Throughout the process, Starbucks has always been caring and made sure I was on the right track. If I had the chance to re-do this whole experience, I would choose to work at Starbucks again in a heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment